Lord Farnham was responsible for establishing this street in 1825. The first problem encountered was that it was necessary to pipe the Kinnypottle River from the Cootehill Junction under the street to reach the Cavan River at the present round about at the bus office. Farnham Street built in the early 1800s and was named after the local landlords, Lord Farnhams (the Maxwell family). It was intended to both to beautify the town and to supply a bypass for the coaches travelling through the town. Lord Farnham aimed to have a ‘tree and terraced lined mall’. Before the street was built, Cavan was a town of dirty, narrow winding streets. Throughout the 19th century, Farnham Street was lined with comfortable town houses and public buildings such as the Court House that was built in 1825 at a cost of approximately £12,000. It also had the first row of gaslights in Cavan lit in 1852 courtesy of The Cavan Gas Light Company.




